Infinitus Corsair
So idk if this warrants a thread but this way I'll have a place to talk about similar stuff in the future.

Apparently Disney is suspending the Star Wars anthology series. I'd really like to see Ewan McGregor get a chance to do a cool, middle-aged Obi-Wan movie in the mode of Yojimbo or Sanjuro, and there's no reason you can't make a million neat standalone movies set in the Star Wars universe, but this still feels like a reasonable choice. The pace of the movies feels like it's diminished the specialness of them, and they really getting the sort of creative care you'd like to see.

But there's also still two trilogies in the offing, which is a lot.

Anyway, discuss nerd movie news here, I guess.
Quote
theVictorian
Man, I like the Marvel movies, Game of Thrones and old Star Trek, and I still like the original Star Wars films (and TFA and RO) but I am just burned out on this endless franchise expansion, revisionism and prequelisation shit. You just know at some point it's "Mouse Droid: A Star Wars Story".

With all the streaming options, the number of series, movies and so on, we're at the point where there's just too much pop-sci-fantasy-fanservice to actually watch. I've been watching loads of genuinely old films lately and it's so nice experiencing a completely new set of characters, tone and location every 90 minutes. This after I watched Falling Skies because I got it cheap and it is the epitome of needless, shit drama that clearly exists to pad out a dumb escapist special effects show. Yes, story is the most important thing, but in a story about aliens destroying the planet I do not care about the emotional domestic squabbles of side characters. I got this with Jessica Jones too. The main story was interesting enough but the show was twice as long as it need to be.

If there are 5 shows you want to keep up with on at any point, that's an hour a night all week. I have a collection of 1200 titles on Blu-ray now, with about 180 I still need to see. Many of them are older films, classics and fun trash. Some of them are TV series, so unless I watch two movies every night I'm done for nearly a year.

Quote
Zuben
Solo will be the first Star Wars movie made in my life time that I did not see in the theatre. And I'm fine with that.
Quote
Paquito
theVictorian wrote:
If there are 5 shows you want to keep up with on at any point, that's an hour a night all week. I have a collection of 1200 titles on Blu-ray now, with about 180 I still need to see. Many of them are older films, classics and fun trash. Some of them are TV series, so unless I watch two movies every night I'm done for nearly a year.


Quentin Tarantino started getting really into TV, but then cut himself off, because they were eating into the time he spent watching movies, and he realized that movies was, and always would be, his thing.
Quote
Paquito
Looks like Disney is set to win the Fox deal. Think they'll reboot the X-Men into the MCU? Or will we be seeing Phoenix-Saga Sansa first?
Quote
Meowzers
theVictorian wrote:
Man, I like the Marvel movies, Game of Thrones and old Star Trek, and I still like the original Star Wars films (and TFA and RO) but I am just burned out on this endless franchise expansion, revisionism and prequelisation shit. You just know at some point it's "Mouse Droid: A Star Wars Story".

With all the streaming options, the number of series, movies and so on, we're at the point where there's just too much pop-sci-fantasy-fanservice to actually watch. I've been watching loads of genuinely old films lately and it's so nice experiencing a completely new set of characters, tone and location every 90 minutes. This after I watched Falling Skies because I got it cheap and it is the epitome of needless, shit drama that clearly exists to pad out a dumb escapist special effects show. Yes, story is the most important thing, but in a story about aliens destroying the planet I do not care about the emotional domestic squabbles of side characters. I got this with Jessica Jones too. The main story was interesting enough but the show was twice as long as it need to be.

If there are 5 shows you want to keep up with on at any point, that's an hour a night all week. I have a collection of 1200 titles on Blu-ray now, with about 180 I still need to see. Many of them are older films, classics and fun trash. Some of them are TV series, so unless I watch two movies every night I'm done for nearly a year.



What I don't get about the Star Wars spinoffs is that you have a very well developed and fun universe that has a huge fan base. Even casual viewers know a good amount about Star Wars. There are so many stories you could dive into-- there's so much you can do with these building blocks, it's almost unprecedented-- and they're fucking it up. I think Disney doesn't trust its creatives enough, whereas Marvel at least lets the filmmakers stretch the mold slightly with every installment. It works! I guess because it was under the purview of one person for so much of its life, Disney is worried tinkering with tone and plot might make stuff not "feel like Star Wars."

As far as fun action escapist stuff, I've been watching Stuart Gordon movies and they are bonkers. Robot Jox feels like it was beamed from 90s Mars, and Fortress is a rare macho action movie that doesn't exactly interrogate its masculinity, but is at least aware of it enough to play with it. Gordon's movies in general feel adjacent to mainstream Hollywood, because they mostly were made that way. They just have a smaller budget but a wider idea of what's appropriate for the genre. They're great.
With Love And Kisses!
Quote
Infinitus Corsair
Meowzers wrote:


What I don't get about the Star Wars spinoffs is that you have a very well developed and fun universe that has a huge fan base. Even casual viewers know a good amount about Star Wars. There are so many stories you could dive into-- there's so much you can do with these building blocks, it's almost unprecedented-- and they're fucking it up. I think Disney doesn't trust its creatives enough, whereas Marvel at least lets the filmmakers stretch the mold slightly with every installment. It works! I guess because it was under the purview of one person for so much of its life, Disney is worried tinkering with tone and plot might make stuff not "feel like Star Wars."


Yeah, they've been entirely too cautious. I like Rogue One better than most; even though it's closely tied to the plot of the original film, it at least features a cast of entirely new characters other than a few Easter eggs. Solo was just never an appealing idea even if they'd nailed Han's casting. I never need to see anyone other than Harrison Ford as Han. Donald Glover, with a less established character like Lando, could have worked as a spin-off film.
Quote
Infinitus Corsair
Paquito wrote:
Looks like Disney is set to win the Fox deal. Think they'll reboot the X-Men into the MCU? Or will we be seeing Phoenix-Saga Sansa first?


Dark Phoenix is in post-production, so that.
Quote
theVictorian
Meowzers wrote:


What I don't get about the Star Wars spinoffs is that you have a very well developed and fun universe that has a huge fan base. Even casual viewers know a good amount about Star Wars. There are so many stories you could dive into-- there's so much you can do with these building blocks, it's almost unprecedented-- and they're fucking it up. I think Disney doesn't trust its creatives enough, whereas Marvel at least lets the filmmakers stretch the mold slightly with every installment. It works! I guess because it was under the purview of one person for so much of its life, Disney is worried tinkering with tone and plot might make stuff not "feel like Star Wars."


I just think Kennedy doesn't seem to have a passion or vision for the property. Rogue One, if you watch it directly after Force Awakens, is a pretty striking change in tone but it still feels Star Wars-y. Last Jedi is a horrible clusterfuck because it seems like Johnson was scornful of the material and was determined to subvert everything even if it made no sense and prevented any narrative satisfaction.

Meowzers wrote:
As far as fun action escapist stuff, I've been watching Stuart Gordon movies and they are bonkers. Robot Jox feels like it was beamed from 90s Mars, and Fortress is a rare macho action movie that doesn't exactly interrogate its masculinity, but is at least aware of it enough to play with it. Gordon's movies in general feel adjacent to mainstream Hollywood, because they mostly were made that way. They just have a smaller budget but a wider idea of what's appropriate for the genre. They're great.


There's so much fun independent stuff out there. Movies can be fairly flawed but still a lot of fun. If you haven't seen it, see "Electric Boogaloo", the documentary about Cannon films. It's amazing.
Quote
mikevotto
theVictorian wrote:

I just think Kennedy doesn't seem to have a passion or vision for the property. Rogue One, if you watch it directly after Force Awakens, is a pretty striking change in tone but it still feels Star Wars-y. Last Jedi is a horrible clusterfuck because it seems like Johnson was scornful of the material and was determined to subvert everything even if it made no sense and prevented any narrative satisfaction.


I've had the same thought about Kathleen Kennedy - she's obviously fairly good at making a boatload of money (hitching your wagon to Steven Spielberg clearly helped) but she doesn't seem to have the passion that a George Lucas (I know, I know...the prequels...sigh) has for the material. Even when she's out pressing for SW, it always looks like a producer fanning the flames of fandom, and not a genuine fan geeking out about a new Star Wars movie. And to be honest - she's bungled a ton of production shit on one of the most valuable movie franchises in the world (Lord/Miller firing, Rian Johnson selection, Colin Trevorrow hiring/firing, etc.). I think the reason she chose Ron Howard to fill the role of director on Solo was because she's a "reliable director will carry us through" kind of producer, hence her going back to the well with Spielberg-lite on IX.

Also on the subject of Last Jedi - it might be the second worst SW film I've ever seen (Attack of the Clones is the undisputed champ) but at least I appreciated Rian Johnson trying something different. The problem is that everything he tried failed and fell super flat. I'm a fan of subverting expectations and tropes, but boy did he get none of that stuff right. It was an honorable failure, but a failure nonetheless. When people identify the best scens in TLJ as the Throne Room scene, which is a quintessential SW set-piece, then you know how badly Johnson screwed up with his wackadoodle tone and decision for nearly other scene in the movie.
"You want me to salute that pile of walking pus? Salute my ass!" - Captain Rhodes
Quote
Ivan the Terrible
mikevotto wrote:
Also on the subject of Last Jedi - it might be the second worst SW film I've ever seen (Attack of the Clones is the undisputed champ) but at least I appreciated Rian Johnson trying something different. The problem is that everything he tried failed and fell super flat. I'm a fan of subverting expectations and tropes, but boy did he get none of that stuff right. It was an honorable failure, but a failure nonetheless. When people identify the best scens in TLJ as the Throne Room scene, which is a quintessential SW set-piece, then you know how badly Johnson screwed up with his wackadoodle tone and decision for nearly other scene in the movie.


The depressing thing about Rian Johnson trying something new, and failing*, is that you know Disney is going to take away the lesson of 'Don't try new things', as opposed to 'If you're going to try new things, make sure those new things are well thought out and entertaining in their own right.'

* Disclaimer: I actually don't have an opinion on The Last Jedi one way or the other. I haven't been able to work up much enthusiasm for Disney's attempt to turn Star Wars into another cash cow cinematic universe, ala Marvel, so I kinda checked out after The Force Awakens.
It's the lack of stabbing that makes NoCrimesVille the kind of city I'm proud to live in.
Quote
EJ
theVictorian wrote:
Last Jedi is a horrible clusterfuck because it seems like Johnson was scornful of the material and was determined to subvert everything even if it made no sense and prevented any narrative satisfaction.


I'm kind of feeling they've botched the new trilogy, and I don't blame Rian Johnson.  What else was a highly creative guy going to do with that limp, reheated material he was handed? The Force Awakens was an entertaining enough two hours in the theater--basically a 7/10--but, sorry, Jean was right in calling it "Star Wars karaoke," and it didn't do much to set a course for new, interesting territories.

Abrams and co. did a workmanlike job slotting pieces into place, lining up comforting analogue after analogue with the original trilogy, but, with a universe of storytelling possibilities to pick from, they opted to do nothing else beyond that.  I was thinking about this the other day: They needed Han and Chewie in the film of course, but did they even bother to work up any kind of story, any kind of purpose, to effect that?  No, Han and Chewie just show up.  Like, they just happen to bump into the Millennium Falcon while out patrolling the vast, fifty-million-inhabited-systems galaxy (Thank you, Wookiepedia).  People have complained about that mathematical improbability before, I know, but the underlying issue is just the lack of imagination that led to them to rationalize, "Yeah, we know. Whatever. It'll do." (And yeah, I know that a beacon was activated when the MF was fired up, but even the novelization says that its range was tiny and Han coming across the MF was pure luck.  Wookiepedia won't even defend Chewbacca on that.)

And then to proceed from that encounter to that totally digressive and forgettable Cacodemon-from-Doom chase around Han's ship, or whatever that was, which was just inconsequential filler?  I totally checked out for those ten minutes.

It's fine to work from a template, to just extract things from a greater monomyth (A New Hope did that, of course), but if you're not even going to put a little effort into the prepositions and conjunctions, the distinctive grace notes, that get you from one big idea to the next? That's just too bad.  (I mean, some of the most distinctive things in A New Hope were those little linking scenes.  Lucas could have had Obi-Wan and Luke meet Han in a dark back alley, not in the cantina.)

Obviously, the better story for a new trilogy would be how the First Order rose to power in the first place. Or something other than just, "Oh, hi.  Here we are again."

Anyway, I liked The Last Jedi, but get the dissatisfaction with it. I'm no big fan of Johnson (Brick and Looper were good, not great), but I imagine, or at least hope, he will do better working with a clean slate.
Quote
mikevotto
Ivan the Terrible wrote:


The depressing thing about Rian Johnson trying something new, and failing*, is that you know Disney is going to take away the lesson of 'Don't try new things', as opposed to 'If you're going to try new things, make sure those new things are well thought out and entertaining in their own right.'

* Disclaimer: I actually don't have an opinion on The Last Jedi one way or the other. I haven't been able to work up much enthusiasm for Disney's attempt to turn Star Wars into another cash cow cinematic universe, ala Marvel, so I kinda checked out after The Force Awakens.


It's fairly clear that they embraced the "fear change" mantra - Abrams is back for IX to massage our memberberries for the OT.
"You want me to salute that pile of walking pus? Salute my ass!" - Captain Rhodes
Quote
Ivan the Terrible
EJ wrote:
Obviously, the better story for a new trilogy would be how the First Order rose to power in the first place. Or something other than just, "Oh, hi.  Here we are again."


It's hard to compare responses between when you're a kid and when you're a grown man, but my recollection as a kid was finding the undisclosed background with the Clone Wars and the Old Republic and the Empire rising up to replace it mysterious and intriguing. Questions like 'Where did the Emperor come from? How did he destroy the Republic? Why did Anakin Skywalker betray the Jedi for him?' added to the films precisely by being unanswered. In that case, it felt less like a cop-out and more like myth-making, establishing Luke Skywalker's story as just one in a much greater universe.

Yet when I asked similar questions about Snoke during The Force Awakens, I instead went to the more cynical response of 'Snoke and the First Order are in power because they're doing a soft reboot and retread of A New Hope, and since A New Hope had an evil empire dominating the galaxy they need a substitute for it, even if it comes completely out of nowhere.'

Because...well, that was obviously the case. There was no myth-making there. Just marketing.
It's the lack of stabbing that makes NoCrimesVille the kind of city I'm proud to live in.
Quote
Putu
Rooby is gonna punch each and every nerd in this thread so hard that they'll shit their pancreas out of their mouth! You've been fuckin' well warned!
That's...not what I meant at all.
Quote
HurricaneKid
Han was fine.  I blame TLJ for every part of this Star Wars world collapsing on itself.

Rogue One was a really good movie that was done completely outside the bounds of normal Star Wars movies.  And in a movie where effectively everyone we care about dies, its about as dark as it gets.  But the fact that everyone would lay down their lives to leave a crack open to hurt the Empire is within the heart of the Star Wars Universe and the refusal to give up hope.

But TLJ broke the bounds of the universe and rewrote the established world.  I have far less interest in the stories that come out of the universe because now "they" feel like "they" can just say and do anything "they" want and keep a few of the planets names the same and I will give them piles of money.

Bad sequels often do exceedingly well.  They are built off well liked movies and are effectively telling audiences "we want to tell you another story with your favorite characters".  Screenwriters, directors, etc have more time to tell stories because they don't need to deal with as much character development; its already been done.  But a bad sequel will team down a franchise.  Because when you tell a bad story it means you have no more good stories to tell or you would have told them.  Crystal Skull did it with Indy and TLJ did it with Star Wars.  Those movies destroyed billion dollar tent-pole franchises, or at the very least decimated their earnings power.

Nerd out.
Quote
Meowzers
I liked The Last Jedi.
With Love And Kisses!
Quote
Meowzers
theVictorian wrote:
There's so much fun independent stuff out there. Movies can be fairly flawed but still a lot of fun. If you haven't seen it, see "Electric Boogaloo", the documentary about Cannon films. It's amazing.


This looks good. I'm gonna add it to my list. I really want to know more about Charles Band's production company, Empire, because it put out some really bizarre shit.
With Love And Kisses!
Quote
Infinitus Corsair
I don't think Johnson has scorn for the material; I think he was just doing his best to break the monotony of the saga. I've grown to appreciate a lot of the way TLJ bucked my expectations. I don't like the way this trilogy, overall, ruins the triumph of the OT, especially since it's so repetitive. But within those confines, TLJ is a pretty great capstone for Luke.

But I'm pretty easy. I'll people swing lightsabers and space-fascists in gleaming plastic costumes romp about in 7/10 adventures for the rest of forever, and I don't expect to complain that much.
Quote
Ivan the Terrible
Has anyone here played Knights of the Old Republic 2? I've been told that fans of that game, which was also very divisive in its time, are more likely to appreciate The Last Jedi, since both the game and the movie basically tore the shit out of a bunch of established Star Wars cliches.
It's the lack of stabbing that makes NoCrimesVille the kind of city I'm proud to live in.
Quote
Zuben
Meowzers wrote:
I liked The Last Jedi.


This is the correct response.
Quote
theVictorian
Ivan the Terrible wrote:
Has anyone here played Knights of the Old Republic 2? I've been told that fans of that game, which was also very divisive in its time, are more likely to appreciate The Last Jedi, since both the game and the movie basically tore the shit out of a bunch of established Star Wars cliches.


I don't mind a subversion of clichés at all, but Last Jedi had me suppressing the urge to shout "but what about...?" at the screen multiple times. Like how the fuck did Finn drag unconscious Rose across a live battlefield he'd spent minutes crossing in a speeder? How are there gravity bombers in space and why are massive imperial ships so vulnerable to them? Why not just have a bomb launcher? Why hasn't anyone been using hyperspace weapons until now? I am not normally a nitpicker, but this stuff was all so glaring I was thinking it during the movie.
Quote
Digital Geist
Zuben wrote:


This is the correct response.


Ivan the Terrible wrote:
Has anyone here played Knights of the Old Republic 2? I've been told that fans of that game, which was also very divisive in its time, are more likely to appreciate The Last Jedi, since both the game and the movie basically tore the shit out of a bunch of established Star Wars cliches.


I don’t remember enough about KOTOR 2 to give an opinion either way. It seems to be held in pretty high esteem, especially the “patched” version which adds back content that was either unfinished or cut due to time.

Regardless, my experience with TLJ basically mirrors IC and Neum(?): I was mixed on it, but eventually started appreciating it more as time went on. It’s tough for me to rank in the series, mostly because of the Casino subplot dragging. Even though it was set up to be something like ESB, I’d probably rank it closer to RotJ.

I’m still waiting for Zuben to actually post his thoughts on it - which he fucking cockteased us with months ago.
Quote
Unregistered
It sucked.
Quote
wirthling
[DgRqA9RU8AAFA3A] 

https://twitter.com/Jickle/status/1010048788285743104
"I am very poorly today and very stupid and hate everybody and everything." - Charles Darwin
Quote
Dyne
EJ wrote:


I'm kind of feeling they've botched the new trilogy, and I don't blame Rian Johnson.  What else was a highly creative guy going to do with that limp, reheated material he was handed? The Force Awakens was an entertaining enough two hours in the theater--basically a 7/10--but, sorry, Jean was right in calling it "Star Wars karaoke," and it didn't do much to set a course for new, interesting territories.

Abrams and co. did a workmanlike job slotting pieces into place, lining up comforting analogue after analogue with the original trilogy, but, with a universe of storytelling possibilities to pick from, they opted to do nothing else beyond that.  I was thinking about this the other day: They needed Han and Chewie in the film of course, but did they even bother to work up any kind of story, any kind of purpose, to effect that?  No, Han and Chewie just show up.  Like, they just happen to bump into the Millennium Falcon while out patrolling the vast, fifty-million-inhabited-systems galaxy (Thank you, Wookiepedia).  People have complained about that mathematical improbability before, I know, but the underlying issue is just the lack of imagination that led to them to rationalize, "Yeah, we know. Whatever. It'll do." (And yeah, I know that a beacon was activated when the MF was fired up, but even the novelization says that its range was tiny and Han coming across the MF was pure luck.  Wookiepedia won't even defend Chewbacca on that.)

And then to proceed from that encounter to that totally digressive and forgettable Cacodemon-from-Doom chase around Han's ship, or whatever that was, which was just inconsequential filler?  I totally checked out for those ten minutes.

It's fine to work from a template, to just extract things from a greater monomyth (A New Hope did that, of course), but if you're not even going to put a little effort into the prepositions and conjunctions, the distinctive grace notes, that get you from one big idea to the next? That's just too bad.  (I mean, some of the most distinctive things in A New Hope were those little linking scenes.  Lucas could have had Obi-Wan and Luke meet Han in a dark back alley, not in the cantina.)

Obviously, the better story for a new trilogy would be how the First Order rose to power in the first place. Or something other than just, "Oh, hi.  Here we are again."

Anyway, I liked The Last Jedi, but get the dissatisfaction with it. I'm no big fan of Johnson (Brick and Looper were good, not great), but I imagine, or at least hope, he will do better working with a clean slate.


↑ This. That pretty much sums up my take on TLJ, and the whole new trilogy, except I ended up being far more unhappy with TLJ. I think alot of the criticism/support stems from debate over how TLJ broke from the established order, or how it upended expectations to positive or negative effect. When I think about it, I like the idea of going totally new directions with the story, and I appreciated the subversion.

As an example, I really didn't mind Snoke getting killed half way through with little warning; in fact I thought that scene was clever. The problem is I saw no reason for Snoke to exist in the first place. His character was such a transparent copy of the emperor from the original trilogy, and the role he played was purely to re-heat and repackage nostalgia for fans. I guess Johnson was trying something new, but there was plot point after plot point that served to take the expected outcome based on previous films, and do the exact opposite. It gets annoying through the movie, and it's like all the energy went into just reversing the repackaged garbage that went into TFA.

So TFA spends an entire film copying ANH beat for beat, and then TLJ spends the entire film following the logical threads and pulling the rug out from under the viewer at ever turn. Great. Both films are still basically locked in a binary dance that is purely derived from the original trilogy. That's two films in a trilogy that feel like they are just sort of spinning their wheels. You have limited real estate dudes, don't waste our time.  How about a whole new fucking story arc? 

Many of the more controversial elements seemed fairly reasonable and innovative to me, such as: Leia being space Neo, Luke being a dick and not offering any training, Rey not coming from any note worth parentage, the rejection of the force, interstellar astral projection, etc. These were unfortunately overshadowed by total garbage such as the stupid space chase subplot, or the totally hokey love story with Rose (....WHY?!), several new characters that had importantish parts of the story that literally no body cared about, or anything about that stupid fucking casino planet. It felt so uneven, I couldn't walk away happy with it.
Quote
Jinnistan
I didn't think Solo was so bad as to justify cancelling the entire gambit.  It appears to have surpassed its budget, or at least the publicly disclosed budget, and given thee film's botched production, they should really be thankful enough for that.  I think Lord/Miller were always a bad fit for the job, even if Howard was bland and unable to produce any of the scale-shots that have been a highlight of the Disney installments.  We can blame Alden Ehrenreich for not having prime Harrison Ford charisma, I guess, but it's not like Harrison Ford does either (as Force Awakens makes painfully clear), and I think prime Dennis Quaid charisma is close enough.

Overall, I agree with the whole franchise fatigue.  I don't think there's any currently that inspire more than mild amusement for me, most much less.  But if any of them should provoke immediate studio intervention, it has to be the DC shitstorm.  Whatever merits could be found in exploring a neurotic Superchrist, we should agree that it's still a pretty stupid foundation to base a decade of films on top of.  I don't see how Korean subbed cam audio isn't the only appropriate way to watch this year's Aquaman.

Quote
Jinnistan
Meowzers wrote:
I've been watching Stuart Gordon movies

His protege Brian Yuzna has a movie called Society that you may like.
Quote
Infinitus Corsair
I'm not, like, excited about Aquaman, but the setting is so unique and James Wan has done some stuff, so I'm curious to give it a look. I skipped Justice League, though, so I don't know much about how Khal Aquaman plays.
Quote
theVictorian
Jinnistan wrote:

His protege Brian Yuzna has a movie called Society that you may like.


This whole movie is padding for the finale, but the finale is so utterly fucking mental it's a must-see. Read nothing about it before going in.
Quote
Infinitus Corsair
I don't have particularly high hopes for Episode IX--I expect it to be fun popcorn in the vein of TFA--but I'm really happy that Billy Dee Williams will be in it as Lando, even if it's not a big role. It's a shame that Han and presumably Leia won't be around to interact with him, but both Billy Dee and Lando deserve a bit of an ST spotlight and with the three leads all gone, it will be good to maintain a human, English-speaking bridge to the OT.
Quote
Little Ash
Meowzers wrote:


This looks good. I'm gonna add it to my list. I really want to know more about Charles Band's production company, Empire, because it put out some really bizarre shit.


There's a documentary on Empire films, I believe called, Video Wizards of the Celluoid Wasteland... googling....

http://www.empirepicturesdocumentary.com/

I can't tell if they ever finished it.  Looking at their May 22nd comment, I guess it hasn't been finished yet.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ballyhoomotionpics/celluloid-wizards-in-the-video-wasteland/comments
"Soon", I guess.

I heard about it at an Empire Films marathon about a year or two ago (which was 60% Stuart Gordon as it showed, Re-Animator, Dolls, and From Beyond.)  Dennis Paoli showed up to talk about writing Re-Animator and From Beyond, so that was cool.

Quote
Caesar
Zuben wrote:
Solo will be the first Star Wars movie made in my life time that I did not see in the theatre. And I'm fine with that.

This is all true for me as well (and my lifetime includes 1977...I'm thinking yours doesn't).  Rogue One almost broke my streak, but it kinda made me realize that I wasn't really all that interested in Star Wars for Star Wars sake.

I loved the first two films (Empire a little bit more than Star Wars). Return of the Jedi was a major disappointment (I'll never warm up to that movie because I'll never forgive it) but I've kept going back hoping that I'll walk out of a film with the feeling I had walking out of Empire--but I haven't been able to re-capture that high. 

Did I really like the Han Solo character so much that I wanted to see a pre-Star Wars story about him?  Nope. Do I care enough about Obi-Wan to want to see what he was up to between Episodes III and IV?  Not really, because his behavior in Star Wars gave me the impression that he hadn't really done much.

I'm not totally off the Star Wars bandwagon yet (I'm going to see Episode IX in theaters), but I think I'm going to just stick to the major episodes (there's a better term for those films...I'm sorry I didn't come up with one).
Quote
Caesar
Jinnistan wrote:
We can blame Alden Ehrenreich for not having prime Harrison Ford charisma, I guess, but it's not like Harrison Ford does either (as Force Awakens makes painfully clear), and I think prime Dennis Quaid charisma is close enough.

I"m not sure that Ford actually had that in more than 2 films.  Han was a great character in Star Wars and Empire, but he kinda phoned in Jedi.

Quote
Infinitus Corsair
Charlie/Merry is now in Episode IX. I've got to say, I'm a bit underwhelmed by the non-returning actor cast for Episode IX. There's no Derns or Del Toros here, friends.
Quote
EJ
Infinitus Corsair wrote:
Charlie/Merry is now in Episode IX. I've got to say, I'm a bit underwhelmed by the non-returning actor cast for Episode IX. There's no Derns or Del Toros here, friends.
"This is not the Penny's boat you're looking for." Or something.
Quote
Infinitus Corsair
EJ wrote:
"This is not the Penny's boat you're looking for." Or something.


Not Leia's CR90 Corellian Corvette.
Quote
Infinitus Corsair
Infinitus Corsair wrote:
Charlie/Merry is now in Episode IX. I've got to say, I'm a bit underwhelmed by the non-returning actor cast for Episode IX. There's no Derns or Del Toros here, friends.


And now they've got that Cro Magnon Dr. Who that Rabid liked so much. 
Quote
Infinitus Corsair
This isn't really news, but I rewatched Infinity War and, wrt the tag scene, it's not that big a deal that Fury paged Captain Marvel, right? I mean, half the sentient life in the universe just vanished. She'll be probably curious about that regardless.
Quote
Infinitus Corsair
This isn't really news, but I rewatched Infinity War and, wrt the tag scene, it's not that big a deal that Fury paged Captain Marvel, right? I mean, half the sentient life in the universe just vanished. She'll be probably curious about that regardless.


I guess it was a signal for her to go to Earth specifically, January IC.
Quote
Infinitus Corsair
So I'm sure you guys all saw the news about Disney's release slate. There will be Star Warses in 2022, 2024, and 2026, all in in December. I'd infer that means a trilogy? Hopefully Rian Johnson's and not the GoT guys. Anyway, I like the idea of letting the engine cool for a bit before doing something new with it.

Also, Avatar sequels are coming in 2021, 2023, 2025, and 2027, so hold onto your boners for that.
Quote
Ergill

Also, Avatar sequels are coming in 2021, 2023, 2025, and 2027, so hold onto your boners for that.

Here's hoping Stephen Lang regresses into Ike Clanton and the latter episodes are some variant of Tombstone. The Na'vi can just be, you know, Lakota.
Quote
Wreck
If I was only allowed to watch one series I think I'd go with the 4 Avatarses over the 3 Star Warses.
Quote
Infinitus Corsair
Wreck wrote:
If I was only allowed to watch one series I think I'd go with the 4 Avatarses over the 3 Star Warses.


That's more of a dork movie opinion.
Quote
krinkle
Girth, not length.
Quote
Ray McKigney


That's more of a dork movie opinion.

This forum really needs a upvote feature. I have to admit, I laughed out loud.
Quote
Infinitus Corsair
So I'm sure you guys all saw the news about Disney's release slate. There will be Star Warses in 2022, 2024, and 2026, all in in December. I'd infer that means a trilogy? Hopefully Rian Johnson's and not the GoT guys. Anyway, I like the idea of letting the engine cool for a bit before doing something new with it.

Also, Avatar sequels are coming in 2021, 2023, 2025, and 2027, so hold onto your boners for that.


I'm sure all you guys saw that it's the GoT guys' trilogy. Bummer.
Quote
Infinitus Corsair
Robert Pattinson is gonna be the new Batman. My thing is, after all the Batman movies they've done now, what I really want is live-action version of the O'Neil/Adams or TAS Batman--hyper-competent and intense, in the prime of his career, but comfortable in the shoes he's chosen.

We've had a very good Weird Batman (Keaton) and a very good Emo Batman (Bale), and those are the directions that feel most likely for a Pattinson Batman. But I've been surprised before.
Quote
Paquito


I'm sure all you guys saw that it's the GoT guys' trilogy. Bummer.


I was thinking about being done with Star Wars, and that idea is even more appealing now.
Quote
Paquito


Regardless, my experience with TLJ basically mirrors IC and Neum(?): I was mixed on it, but eventually started appreciating it more as time went on.


I didn't enjoy it that much on my first viewing, enjoyed it much more on my second viewing, but am increasingly disliking it as time passes. "It works in a vacuum" isn't flying for me anymore. It doubled down on the problems of FA, and sucked the energy out of the new trilogy. I'm not at all invested in the story at this point.
Quote